Thursday, April 26, 2012

Sweet Antonia

Well we’ve played some music now the last couple days and had some pretty great worship times but nothing prepared us for what we would experience today.  We went on a mini tour today, each gig being for 1 person.  We were able to play for 4 of the people who are part of Healing Haiti’s Elder Care program.  All were great times of worship but one stop in particular at an older paralyzed women’s house quickly became memorable for me.

Antonia was here name and she was stricken to a mat on the floor.  We all huddled into her little shack and began to play worship songs.  A few songs in, we broke into Glory To God, singing the chorus in Creole, Glwa Pou Bondye.  Her toothless little mouth began to move along with the words and soon she was in full song with us… so good to see, absolutely inspiring.

Following our time of worship, as everyone was leaving, I was waiting for Julie (our videographer) to come back for a short video shoot for a project we’re bringing back to Eagle Brook.  Julie seemed to be taking her time so I nestled down beside Antonia and held her hand.  In her raspy tone she began saying, “Mesi” (Thank You) over and over and over and over.  For almost two minutes she was thanking me.  I whispered, “Ke Bondye Beni’ou (God bless you) and she said, “Amen, Amen, Amen…  you get the idea.  As we cuddled while waiting for Julie my eyes filled with tears and I was struck that we had completely made her day. 

I don’t say this to toot my own horn but to say that I was very humbled by this experience.  Playing gigs for 1 person at a time in a place like Haiti is not at all glamorous, but truly one of the most inspiring times of worship I’ve ever experienced.  Sweet Antonia, God used you to break my heart today, but He also used you to put it all back together as you whispered, “Mesi, mesi, mesi, mesi…”

Just before Julie and I left, I gave sweet Antonia a big Smooch on the cheek.  Her response, “Glwa Pou Bondye”


--Kenny Bristol


1 comment: