Thursday, April 26, 2012

my moment

  Hey everyone!
Julie here…..I have the high honor of capturing the moments the team is having this week and then being able to bring the message and emotions back to the world.
As a videographer/photog, when you are on a trip for the specific purpose of capturing the trip, it’s very hard to fully submerge yourself into the full emotion of the trip because you are constantly looking for the ‘moments’ that other people are having, to capture them. So unfortunately, I don’t have much opportunity for my own moments….until today.
We visited some of the elderly. As we walked up and brought Edmund out of his little shack (he was carried by one of the HH staff because he cant walk..), I couldn’t help but smile at this precious man. As the guys started to play worship music for him, I started to notice him start to worship right there in his chair. What an amazing experience to see this man who has nothing in the world, lift his hands in worship. The SAME GOD that we worship in the States, this little blind, lame, practically deaf (and completely toothless!) man, worships that same God, and is loved JUST as much by our God as we are.
We then visited a woman who is also unable to walk. She is stuck to her mat, and so we gathered around her in her hut that has a blue cast to it, due to the blue plastic tarp that have become the walls of her 8x8 ‘home’. The guys started to play again, and as soon as they did, she had her arms up (see Kenny’s picture in the blog post below) and was singing along like crazy and just loving this break in her life.
But then something happened. As I walked around shooting, getting the guys playing, getting the woman on the floor responding, it hit me: We are singing for her in her hot, stuffy hut. We will leave this place in about 5 minutes and go chug cold water, and eat Nature Valley Granola bars and beef jerky in the taptap because we are a little hungry. Then we’ll sing songs in the taptap all the way back to the guest house where we will eat pizza and debrief about our day in a beautiful guest house and sleep with air conditioning. And the WHOLE TIME, this woman will STILL be on the floor. Unable to move. Unable to feed herself. Going day to day with very few, if any, visitors, but yet, still loving and praying that same God that I am praying too. It’s amazing how we come one these trips expecting to pour blessing onto people and then realize that as we watch them, live their lives that to us, would be absolutely impossible, our perspective changes, our eyes are readjusted to the priorities in the world. And what are those priorities? To SERVE GOD. That’s all. That is why we’re here on earth. If I could live my life to serve my God with absolute full abandon, it still wouldn’t be enough. He is SO BIG and SO POWERFUL and SO MIGHTY! He deserves to be served with full, happy hearts. So that’s what I will continue to do. Hand over my life to God and allow him to mold me into the woman HE wants me to be. Nothing else matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment