Thursday, March 24, 2011

CeeCee



I met her 4 months ago on my first trip to Haiti. We went to her Water Truck stop in City Soliel two different days - and both times she wrapped her arms around my neck, sometimes gently lay her head to rest on my shoulder, shyly look into my eyes. This little four year old has tugged at my heart strings from the moment I first saw her. CeeCee is one of a few faces that haunts me and often I wonder about her life. Three weeks ago my husband Jeff came down to Haiti. I sent a photo with him of CeeCee and me, hoping that somehow he would get a chance to meet her. She stayed with him for the duration of their water stop - he made a special connection with her knowing the connection I had made a few months earlier. Today I brought a photo Jeff holding CeeCee and the photo I gave him. As we pulled into her water truck stop I could not find her - I showed it to the other children and they ran off to find her. To my delight, she was as excited to see me as I was to see her. We spent the hour in struggled English/Spanish conversation. I had the chance to meet her "mother" (she was very old - so my guess is that it was not her birth mom). Her friends continually asked me if I would take CeeCee home as my daughter. They were very persistent but I continually said no. When we were about to leave there was a bigger than normal gathering. CeeCee was still in my arms when I said my goodbyes and told her that I would be back. When I set her down the other children began to say "No, no, no." They were passionately waving their hands motioning for me to take CeeCee with me. It was then I understood that the children were there to give CeeCee away! They expected that if they gave her to me that I would be convinced to take her. Brad saw the interaction and ran to get FanFan our interpreter. He confirmed what they were saying . My heart was broken as I had FanFan tell them that I was not able to take her.
What must life be like for them to willingly send one of their own away with someone they do not know? Please God, be with CeeCee and the rest of the children in whatever circumstance they are in - make Yourself known to them in tangible ways.

Karen Moen
Healing Haiti Mission Team Member

1 comment:

  1. Karen,

    This story breaks my heart! I know I will be thinking about this for a very long time. Thank you for sharing it with us. We are praying for you and the team as you minister this week.

    love,
    Kris Hallblade

    ReplyDelete