Thursday, March 24, 2011

Day 3 - The Water Truck Day

Hi Friends,


This is Brad. A friend of Jeff's... and now the EBC Worship Team. I have no musical talents, so when I met the team, I told them the best I could do hum. They laughed, but have accepted me anyway. I am so thankful for the opportunity to finally do what God has asked from each of us.


So what is the water truck day all about?


From a practical standpoint, it is delivering clean drinking water to people who need it to live. It is hard work, coupled with organized chaos. From a spiritual standpoint, it is God showing his power in a very small way.


From a spiritual standpoint, water truck day is so much more: We arrived in Cite Solei early this morning. One of the poorest of slums in the world. Garbage and sewage smells everywhere. We roll the 2,500 gallon truck of water down the smallest of alleys, between homes that are little more than shanties. As we approach, the locals who live within that area know we're coming and they come running,


What I didn't understand is how much fun we would have. The kids smiled and played. With the help of our team, the women filled the buckets and brought the water back to their homes (?). They appreciated the generosity and help, and you could feel the power of God swirling amongst us. What hit me most is how much they would bless me. Their simple life with the hope for only the most basic things. I was simply there for them and them for me.


Why did it take me so long to act and do what God wants us to do? It's so much easier to say, "I don't have time",  "Mission work is not my calling", "I'll just write a check". These are all things that I have done. My being here in Haiti has opened my eyes to how little I have listened to the Holy Spirit and allowed God's will into my heart. God wants us to choose Him. He awaits patiently for us.  We distract ourselves and never let His power live inside of us. Here, in Haiti, all they have is Him and they live it out so fervently, that it is contagious. 


For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' (Matthew Chapter 25: 35-36)




More to come. I hope you enjoy the photos below... but understand that, it is so much better just to come....

-Brad Ledvina
Healing Haiti Team Member







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the versus. Always a good reminder. Enjoy the rest of your stay in Haiti!!

    ReplyDelete